Pages

Thursday, 22 November 2012

Changing A Cabinet To Open Shelving

Just taking the doors off didn't disguise that the cabinet over my shelf was stock cabinetry.  I wanted it to look like open shelving.

The first step was to carry the beadboard onto the back wall of the cabinet. ~


This covers up screws on the back of the cabinet.

I've removed the adjustable shelf and marked the holes where I want it to go with masking tape ~


I need to cover all the side holes and I chose vintage sheet music for my "wallpaper".  I sprayed the paper with Elmer spray adhesive and let it set for 5 mins.  This makes a temporary, instead of permanent, adhesion and I should be able to remove the sheet music with little difficulty.  If I wanted a more permanent glue, I'd attach it to the cabinet immediately after spraying. 

It's easy to find the holes for the plugs with the masking tape markers and pop the shelf back in. ~ 



Now, we've gone from this ~


To this ~


I use these pieces all the time and now they are on display.

I love this antique, ironstone jelly mould that I found in a thrift store for $6.99! ~


The sheet music echoes the colours of this early, black and white transferware plate with it's romantic Roman scene. ~


I admit my addiction to pitchers and cream jugs! ~


Restyling this cabinet is the only thing in this kitchen redo that has been quick and simple to do!  I used materials I had on hand and the cost of this project was zero.  Yay!!!

I'm joining the party at:  Favorite Things Blog HopTransformation ThursdayUnder $100 Linky PartyWildly Original Link PartyShare You Cup ThursdayA Favorite ThingSunny Simple SundayNick Of Time TuesdayTweak It Tuesday