Pages

Wednesday, 6 June 2012

Phase I Of Dining Room Suite Redo

I finally found a little time to work on a dining room suite I bought months ago at auction. The suite included table and three leaves, six chairs and a buffet.  It was a fabulous buy at $20!  This one was a painter since a dog had chewed on every leg of the table, chairs and buffet.  Did no one ever notice what that dog was doing?


In the before pic (notice all the other 'projects in waiting' on top of it?) you can see that the finish is dull from sun damage and covered in scratches. ~ 


I liked the inlaid and burled veneer on the drawers and wanted to save their finish. ~


The rest of the piece got a coat of Benjamin Moore Fresh Start primer and a couple of coats of BM Mayonnaise latex paint.  When the paint had set, I wiped it down with dark walnut stain to age the look of the paint. ~


I found an image to dress up the door fronts from The Graphics Fairy and printed out two 8X10 copies.  A regular, ink jet printer works fine for this.  I cut closely around the images to minimize the amount of paper I would have to deal with in the next steps. ~


I painted Modpodge on the ink side of the images. ~


The Modpodged ink side was stuck to the painted doors and left to set overnight. ~


I soaked the paper images with a wet sponge and started rolling back the outer layer of paper with my thumb.  Don't rub too hard or you'll go through all the paper and rub the ink off.  You want to roll until the image comes clear and only a thin layer of paper remains. ~  


This is a nice, showy image for the doors. ~


The whole piece got a good buffing with Trewax paste and viola! a pretty, country cottage chic piece! ~ 


Now, on to the table and chairs!

I'm starting to feel like an old work horse that may drop dead in the traces!!!

I'm bragging about this at: